Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Back in Stanford

am staying awake till 11pm so that I (hopefully) sleep all night and don't wake up at 5am. My strategy for combating jet lag. *grin*

It's super hot here in Stanford. Feels hotter than in S'pore! and the air-con in lab is not working too well... heard that in the hospital they couldn't operate becos no AC in the operating theatres!

watched 'I Not Stupid II' on the plane. Lisa recommended it. Said it was good, and made her cry n cry. Immediately I felt that I shdn't watch it. Such a below-the-belt tactic of selling movies-- making people cry n cry. But against my better judgement I did watch it and indeed was induced to cry n cry. Basket. good thing the seat next to me was unoccupied, else so embarassing. Trying to hide my puffy-eyes-runny-nose condition frm the air stewardesses is hard enough. I think I used like, 5 tissues... *sigh*. The movie was ok. I hate having my emotions manipulated so I refuse to say that it's a gd movie. HRMPH. So There.

tried cable skiing on Monday. Quite fun =). but I spent a lot of time swimming and walking (after falling into the water), and I think I got stung by a jellyfish. didn't feel that tired after but my muscles are def sore today.. Will be a lot more fun when/if I get better at it. However, I think downhill skiing/snow boarding is more exciting, becos
1) You can go faster
2) You have more control.

But I guess cable skiing is less scary. You can't accidentally end up at the top of some super steep slope, rigidly staring at the !#$%! mountain of moguls below, trying to summon the courage to take the first plunge....

*grin*. yay skiing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heard there's an ongoing heat wave in California (or some parts of it). Can't quite imagine anywhere being warmer than Singapore, really.

Does your method really help with jet lag? I'm expecting that as I'm planning a trip -- to take place soon-- to another continent several time zones away, so wondering how to cope with it.

--Xiu Li--

Anonymous said...

it definately works for me. The method is this: become sleep-deprived on the plane (usually happens anyways), stay awake all day the first day, and only sleep around 11pm-12mn. this will cause one to be extremely tired and sleep the whole night, waking up ard 8-9am. It's really impt to not nap during the 1st day, and not sleep too early (10pm is too early).

the next day you'll still feel tired. but resist the urge to nap. sleep only at night, ard 11pm.

on the 3rd day, you'll be completely adapted.

This method has worked for me for the past 5 yrs, across multiple time zones.

Assumption: that one desires to wake up ard 9am each morning, after 8-9hrs of sleep. for different wake-up times, alter the sleeping times accordingly.