Friday, June 03, 2005

Fountainhead

My Sony DVD RW drive (DRU-530A) has stopped working!!!! AARGH. dunno what happened. it was fine b4. i tried uninstalling and restarting but it still doesn't work. When u put in a CD or DVD it whirrs for a while then stops. The screen that used to pop up and ask u what to do with the CD doesn't pop up anymore. Windows explorer doesn't show any files on the drive (like i have an empty disk), but doesn't tell u that the drive is empty. Device manager sez the device is working properly. When I try to burn a DVD it sez 'The device is not ready'. I tried using the 'Force ASPI' program but that didn't work either. HHOOOOWWWW??? *howl*..... I am using WinXP, have an AMD 64bit processor. I want to die.....

on a side note. Have just read 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand. This book is evil. You have to fight every nerve in ur body and brain to stop reading it and go eat and take baths and whatever else normal ppl do. It really disturbed me too. All these things are churning ard in my head and I don't really wanna give away the whole plot. It's a book about power. Power over other people. and how to get it. Only I don't think everyone can be quite so easily manipulated? the book makes it sound so simple. I would like to think that people are not like that, or at least, that I'm not like that. But then I know that most times I just wanna be faceless within the crowd, and that the common opinion is useful because the best chinese restuarants usually have the most people eating inside. (This however, is not true of El Salvadorean restuarants in SF.)

I'm so glad I'm not a salesman. happy that I don't have to push products that people don't really want or need. that I don't have to cater to public opinion, not yet. when I push products, it's gonna be because they save lives. *sigh*...... how arrogant and moralistic is that? Such lofty aims when right now I still dunno if any of my expts are gonna work.

ok, fine. The Fountainhead is not actually a book about power. Ayn Rand used it to showcase her philosophy of the importance of the individual. but the part that most disturbed me was the power part.

The Dalai Lama is coming to Stanford in November. I wonder if he ever gets tired of life. It must be pretty irritating, needing to be reborn every couple decades. Especially when you're like, the most enlightened one we've got. does he think to himself: "Ok, this has GOT to be the last time. Surely I'll acheive enlightenment after THIS life."

i need sleep. I need to shower. I ME MY MINE. was thinking that this is a very self-centred blog. all about ME. but then, this is MY BLOG PAGE. so obviously it shd be about me, right? but is my universe so limited that all I can write about is myself? ugh. I think I'm just cranky because jomo has gone home to S'pore, my expts are once again NOT working, and I can't burn my DVDs.

No comments: