Thursday, May 05, 2005

Epitaph

In 2000 I got this book of poems (published by the BBC!), and there was one I really liked. I got reminded of it today because a friend of a friend's grandma passed away. So I was thinking of this poem and how I want to have it on my tombstone. But I guess now no more tombstones in S'pore. On my urn then, i guess. or whatever they're using when I die. I couldn't remember the exact lines so I googled it and it's on like, a gazillion websites. So mebbe it's not so special, huh? but whatever. I still think it's good. ANyways.



Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there. I did not die.

-Mary Elizabeth Frye, 1932.

No comments: